My client had an idea: they wanted to bridge the gap between science and the public to help people make healthier choices each day and beat the chronic disease epidemic, but they didn’t know how to go about it— especially on a limited budget. And, there was a deadline– they had the opportunity to launch at the World Economic Forum, and they weren’t about to pass that up! I identified a solution with content marketing.
Since launch and for nearly 2 years, I initiated and managed DiY Health’s content strategy, including:
– Weekly content / consumer email campaign, leading to a four-fold increase in subscribers
– Weekly social media accounts, leading to more than a five-fold increase in followers (and getting retweeted by influencers such as Cindy Crawford, Amanda Palmer, and Peter Gabriel)
– Writing and editing all campaign content, which involved synthesizing research and translating the science into engaging copy that helps people make health-promoting lifestyle choices.
– Contribute research & insights to the program launch at the World Economic Forum Davos 2014 (presented by our advisor and musician/activist Peter Gabriel)
– Ghostwrote a blog post about the launch for Peter Gabriel’s Tumblr
– Established brand messaging
DiY Health, launched at the World Economic Forum Davos 2014, disseminates evidence-based
information to consumers on how lifestyle choices can literally make or break our health, and offers actionable tips for staying healthy and preventing illness in the first place.
- Client: The Angiogenesis Foundation
- Tasks: Writing, Research, Research Synthesis, Editing, Program Strategy
- Website: www.diyhealth.org
The Do it Yourself Health Revolution Launches at the World Economic Forum Davos 2014
The Angiogenesis Foundation, in collaboration with musician-activist Peter Gabriel, is spearheading the Do iT Yourself Health RevolutionSM (DiY Health)—an outside-of-the-box solution to health and wellness that puts practical actions, informed by scientific evidence, into the hands of the people.
“The current healthcare system is intrinsically flawed because it has been designed to chase and treat diseases, rather than keep people healthy in the first place,” commented Dr. William Li, President and Medical Director of the Angiogenesis Foundation. “Our vision is to change this approach by equipping individuals across all ages and societies with ways to protect their own health.”
The DiY Health Revolution harnesses the new science of wellness and guides users to form better lifestyle habits through diet, exercise, sleep and maintaining emotional well-being—the four pillars to wellness. By recommending easy steps to EAT, MOVE, SLEEP, and SMILE SM, DiY Health leverages state-of-the-art knowledge, cross-sector collaborations, mobile technology, and power of the people to establish health as a basic human right for everyone, anywhere in the world.
“It has been wonderful to watch how new technology, especially the mobile phone, has transformed industries by putting choice, control and power into the hands of the users,” says Peter Gabriel, an advisor and supporter of the Angiogenesis Foundation. “This disruptive technology is, at last, beginning to hit healthcare and may enable it to reach all the world’s population for the very first time.”
The Angiogenesis Foundation is the world’s first 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to improving health through angiogenesis, the process used by the body to grow new blood vessels. Angiogenesis is a “common denominator” of health and must be kept in balance to protect our well-being. Impacted by lifestyle choices and behaviors, an imbalance in angiogenesis can cause over 70 of the world’s most dreaded diseases, such as cancer and cardiovascular disease. The Angiogenesis Foundation works to help people lead healthier, longer lives by maintaining or restoring the balance to blood vessel growth.